Monday, November 22, 2010

AN ORDINARY MAN

I enjoy reading and usually have at least a couple books or so that I am reading at one time.  I only wish that I had more time to read. When I find myself with some spare time I try spend it with a book.  Mostly at this time I read books that have to do with God's calling on my life, taking the gospel to the regions beyond. I would like from time to time to mention a book that I have read. 


AN ORDINARY MAN
by Paul Rusesabagina


I have recently been researching some of the great human tragedies that have taken place in the areas of the world where God has allowed us to begin ministering.   In the countries of Rwanda, Burundi and DR Congo literally millions have been slaughtered in Genocide over the last decade and a half.  The hatred that would cause someone to participate in such killing is hard to understand.  Just a couple of years ago here in Kenya we saw the beginning of this hatred and fortunately we were pulled back just as we were about to walk into the pit of genocide.

Travelling through the areas and ministering to the people where these things have took place causes the need to have a deeper understanding of what happened in order to properly deal with people.  I don't know if I ever will fully grasp what happened and the effect that it still has on people but I know that I must try.

In 1994 over 800,000 people died in just one hundred days in Rwanda when neighbor turned against neighbor, friend against friend, and at times family against family.  The wanton slaughter is hard to imagine even after I have visited Rwanda, talked to the people and visited some of the "killing fields". The killing was all done in the name of Tribe.  Truly tribalism is a great and grevous sin.  A sin that is very prevalent here in Kenya.

This book was not so much about the cause of the genocide or events during the genocide but more about how one man took it upon himself to do what he could do to save those around him.  Paul Rusesabagina was a hotel manager when the genocide started and used the resources at his disposal along with his own wit to save 1,268 people that ended up taking refuge in his hotel.  At times it seemed that all would be lost but always and many times miraculously they were spared.  His story in this book was made into a movie called Hotel Rwanda.

Paul is not a saved man, I believe he is a Seventh Day Adventist and certainly anyone believing their doctrine cannot be saved.  However, the premise behind his story is very applicable to the Christian. 

GOD USES ORDINARY MEN TO DO EXTRA-ORDINARY THINGS.

I am reminded of 1 Corinthians 1:26-28.  "For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:"

Why is it that many today are trying to be extra-ordinary in the eyes of the world?  Why is it that many think they must have a super, higher education?  Or a large income?  Or somehow be successful in the eyes of the world?  These are not the things God is looking for in a person.  Certainly in and of themselves they may not be wrong but they are wrong if it is thought that they are what one needs to be used by God.  I don't think we should be trying to gain the respect of the world in order to reach the world.  I believe we should be totally dependant upon God.

Is it possible that many have the problem that is mentioned in 1 Corinthians 1:29?  "That no flesh should glory in his presence".  I believe that flesh looking for glory is just another way to say PRIDE.  We know that God has nothing good to say about pride.  Possibly the reason we are not reaching our generation is because too many of us are looking to glory in our flesh instead of being "ordinary". Too many of us are full of pride.

My prayer to God is that I will always be an ordinary man, only then can I have no glory in my flesh and only then can God use me the way He desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment